Friday, February 18, 2011
These are my answers to this week's questions on "Connections" for the Friday 5.
1. Nowadays, just about everyone knows a couple who first met online. Among couples you know, who has the best story?
No one I can think of who met online. Hey, I'm old. I'm not "just about everyone".
2. Who among your real-life acquaintances might you never have been friends with if you hadn’t gotten to know each other online first?
A friend that I met on a BBS many years ago.
3. Of people you know online only, who would you most like to meet in real life?
Not naming any names here... sorry.
4. In the past 365 days, what’s the longest you’ve gone without connecting in any way to the Internet, including email?
From November 17 to December 3, 2010 I was mostly offline due to the fact that I spent most of the time at Hilo Hospital watching my Dad slowly wither away and die. Sad times indeed.
5. Who is the least-connected person you know in real life?
My Mom in so far as not being online.
Friday, February 11, 2011
Here are my late night answers for this week's Friday 5:
1. What’s the best thing about being awake when the rest of the world seems to be sleeping?
Not very much traffic in the wee hours of the night. Love that. Roads are not crowded and it is easy to find parking at most places.
2. Where can you go when you get a case of the late-night munchies?
Here in Honolulu my favorite places to go are Zippys' Restaurants or Like Like Drive In for a meal.
For fast food, most of the McDonalds' and Jack in the Box places have a 24-7 drive thru.
For take home food, we have grocery stores, a big box and drug stores open 24-7...
WalMart, Foodland, Safeway, Don Quijote, Longs' Drug, Walgreens come to mind.
3. What open-all-night establishment has saved you from catastrophe, and what were the circumstances?
Probably WalMart when I needed something for late that night or early the next morning.
4. What’s the worst thing about being awake when the rest of the world seems to be sleeping?
Missing the sunshine and seeing your daytime friends.
5. When you are up all night at home for whatever reason, what’s most likely to be on the television to keep you company?
Security camera image from our main lounge or Fox News. Mostly late night I rather listen to the radio... Coast to Coast AM with George Noory or iTunes.
Zippys' is one of the good places to get late night munchies.
Friday, February 4, 2011
Answers to this week's Friday 5!
1. Who’s not as funny as he or she thinks?
I don't think David Letterman's very funny. But then is he really a comedian? Probably not.
2. What’s not as big a deal as everyone else seems to think?
Global warming, climate change - biggest pile of bullshit since the bull. People on the mainland are freezing their asses off, shoveling snow and skidding on icy roads. Temps way, way down. Global warming my ass.
I'd put President Barrack Obama right behind that or maybe even in the same place. Full of bull again.
3. What’s something people aren’t concerned enough about?
Taxes and the high cost of living in Hawaii. Sadly people are not concerned about this enough to get rid of the local politicians who implement more taxes upon us every year. We need more fiscal conservatives who can cut the budget and wasteful spending. Reduce taxes. No New Taxes!
4. What’s something in the grocery store that’s underrated?
Batteries - you take them for granted, but when you need them, you are happy to find them in a grocery store even if you have to pay more than in a discount or electronics store.
5. What do you pay too much attention to?