Friday, November 10, 2017

Friday 5 for November 10: Space

Just The Moon


1. Of all the spaces in your residence, which is most powerfully your space?

All of it. I own and live in my small studio apartment which is essentially just one room combined with all the amenities except the bathroom and closet which are separate. That said, the living area is the most immediate of the “powerful”.

2. What’s the most spacious space in your everyday life? 

The great, urban outdoors and once in a blue moon the outdoors in the countryside or on another island if I choose to travel.

3. What’s a good song about space?

There’s plenty and here are my top 10:
  1. Space Oddity - David Bowie - one of the most iconic “space” songs out there.
  2. Main Theme From ‘Star Wars’ - John Williams / London Symphony Orchestra
  3. Rocket Man - Elton John
  4. Major Tom - Shiny Toy Guns - One of the few remakes I like better than the original.
  5. Theme From ‘Babylon 5’ (Season 5) - Christopher Franke
  6. Across the Universe - The Beatles
  7. Space Cowboy - Steve Miller Band
  8. Theme From ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’ - Alexander Courage / Jerry Goldsmith
  9. Man on the Moon - R.E.M.
  10. Blue Danube Waltz - Strauss / MGM Orchestra from ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’.

If you haven’t heard the above songs before, just search YouTube. There are videos and audios of every one of these. I would link them to this post, but unfortunately my main internet is down and I am posting this using my cell phone data stream.

4. What’s under your bed?

I have 2 flat storage bins containing various computer cables with add on accessories, and another with my old iBook G3 laptop and a small PC Notebook. Both have issues, both may be fixable. There is another small container with audio cables.

My New MacBook Pro

5. What are your thoughts on typing one space or two spaces after sentences.

When I first learned how to type on manual typewriters it was two spaces at the end of a sentence before the start of a new sentence. This works today only if you are using a TYPEWRITER with monospaced fonts. Other than that, NO NO NO!

In 1977 at my college’s publications department I was taught that on our then new, state of the art Itek Quadritek 1200 photo typesetting computer, that it was only a single space at the end of the sentence because of the use of proportional fonts even in those very early days of computerized typesetting. From that point on, I ingrained that mantra to all electronic, computerized keyboards I have used throughout my life. SINGLE SPACE AT THE END OF A SENTENCE BEFORE THE START OF THE NEXT.... works all the time with Macs, PCs, Chromebooks, smartphones, tablets and anything else that uses proportional fonts (which is just about everything). It is the mantra! Get with the program you double space Luddites!

And while I’m at it, do not underline text. That is what italics are for.




1 comment:

  1. I'm not familiar with that cover of "Major Tom." Will look into it!

    ReplyDelete