Friday, May 29, 2015

Friday 5 for May 22 - Mail Order

Old Power Computing Ad Brochure

The tower version of this computer was the largest item I got in mail order.


A week late and a dollar short but here are may answers to the May 22 topic "Mail Order" from Scrivener's Friday 5 site.
The Questions:
  1. What is your most recently mail-ordered item?
  2. What’s a catalog you’ve always wanted to order from but never have?
  3. What is physically the largest item you ever mail-ordered?
  4. What catalogs do you still receive in the actual mail?
  5. What are some obscure or unusual catalogs you’ve received?
The Answers:

1. The last time I got an item actually mail ordered to me from Amazon.com was probably a CD - can't remember which one it was, but it was in 2014. Haven't ordered anything physical from Amazon this year.

2. Catalog I always wanted but never have.... SEARS - They discontinued the big catalog several years ago. But now I wish I had those since the SEARS store in Honolulu was torn down to make way for some high end stores.

3. Largest physical thing I actually got in the mail was way back in 1997 when I got my PowerCenter 150 Macintosh Clone desktop computer tower and monitor from Power Computing out of Round Rock, Texas. That was a good computer and was my main workhorse with Mac OS 7.6 to OS 8.5 and BeOS until 2001. Was a secondary platform until around 2009 when I sold it. 

4. Currently no catalogs.

5. In the distant past I used to get a scientific supply catalog from Porter Spear Company and recently I've been annoyed with some junkie sports betting catalogs. Those are immediately thrown in the trash. My favorite catalog that I used to get was Crutchfield and the occasional C-Crane electronics catalog.


No comments:

Post a Comment