Saturday, July 2, 2016

Friday 5 for July 1: Ten Years!


From Scrivener's Friday 5 blog. Happy 10th Birthday!

1. How long would it take you, via the quickest means available, to get to the place of your birth from where you are right now?

Driving from my place to Honolulu International Airport - About 15 minutes in light traffic.

Arrive at airport one hour before flight time, check-in and all that - 90 minutes.

Flight to Hilo International Airport on Hawaiian Airlines Boeing 717 - 50 minutes approx. gate to gate.

Drive to my sister's place in Honokaa - 50 minutes.

So let's add this up: About 3.5 hours travel time to get to my hometown and childhood home.


2. If a traveling food show were to visit your neighborhood, what are some unique, regional foods it would spotlight, and where would it go to get them?

While not exactly a traveling food show, our neighborhood has about 4 or 5 lunchwagons parked on several of the side streets in the area. They are "traveling food shows" in the fact that they have plate lunches, bentos and drinks for sale. Most of them sell popular ethnic foods which is quite common in Hawaii.

3. When were you last in ocean waters?

Got my feet wet last month walking along Waikiki Beach. I live about a mile away at the closest point.

4. What disposable item do you almost never use because you greatly prefer the non-disposable version?

In the 1990s and early 2000s I would have to say cameras since I always preferred a regular camera over the cardboard disposable ones. Today you can hardly find a disposable camera around.

5. What's the schwag that's physically closest to you right now?

I don't go to enough events to get any promotional items. I guess the annual car show is the one I have gone to in recent years where I have picked up brochures, free bags and other small items. The best schwag I get from them is a free yearly Motor Trend magazine subscription just to fill out the annual survey online.

Photo: Mamane Street in Honokaa, Hawaii.


No comments:

Post a Comment