Friday, July 6, 2018

Friday 5 for June 29: Scattergories, Part 8!

These are the answers to the annual Scattergories Friday 5 questions. So what letter did the "nifty online random-letter generator" give to me this year... Hmmmm.

I wrote most of this post last week but could not decide on question #5.... so here I am one week later answering this.

W!

1. What’s a movie you love whose title begins with the letter?




For the letter "W" this one is easy: The 1953 George Pal science fiction movie of the H.G. Wells story, War of the Worlds. Long long ago when I was a kid, the movie scared me. Over the years I have watched War of the Worlds and have never ceased to marvel at how great the special effects were, especially considering this movie came out when each effect had to be painstakingly produced using stop motion techniques and models. Combined with cool lighting, good acting, an interesting plot, the Martian invasion of Earth looked very scary and convincing. To me this movie is far superior to all other versions that have come out since, including the big budget Steven Spielberg edition that came out in 2005. Needless to say I own this movie on DVD and watch it at least 2 or 3 times a year.

I did read the book which took place in Victoria era Britain.

2. What’s a popular tourist destination whose name begins with the letter?

Waikiki Beach 2008


Um... about a mile away from where I live there is WAIKIKI BEACH and the entire resort area of Waikiki. Yep, it is super crowded there every day, but as far as popularity goes, it is one of the most popular places in Hawaii. To anyone who has not been to Hawaii, come here... spend your money... visit Waikiki and all of the other destinations around our island state.

3. What’s something you do, whose name begins with the letter, when you’re very happy?

In my life I am mostly an "observer" vs. being a "participant" in a lot of things. Usually with a camera around my neck I like to observe and photograph people, places and events. If I had to use the letter W to describe this I would say WATCH stuff...  It is a broad generalization, but I could not think of anything specific to the letter W.

4. What’s a frightening animal whose name begins with the letter? 

I had to look it up here for the letter W. I am going to fudge this one a bit, but my first frightening animal that starts with the letter W is:

GREAT WHITE SHARK

Why? Simple. If given the chance, a Great White Shark can eat you. That doesn't sound like much fun. My solution to not become shark bait is simple: STAY OUT OF THE WATER!

Runners up: White Tiger, Wasp, or any carnivorous animal name that is preceded by the description WILD.... Wild Lion, Wild Cheetah, Wild Leopard, Wild Tiger, Wild Dogs, Wild Snakes, etc. Anything wild that can consume a human being is frightening.

5. Who’s a person you admire whose name begins with the letter?

I can't think of anyone except for maybe George Washington who was the first President of the United States. I am reminded of him every time I pick up a quarter or a dollar to spend.

No comments:

Post a Comment