Friday, April 6, 2018

Friday 5 for March 30: Waste

Holiday Fallout

From Scrivener's Friday 5, my week late entry....

1. What’s something you unintentionally threw away?

Two years ago, a big bag of a big pile of brand new plastic Don Quijote shopping bags were mistakenly tossed out. These bags were given to me by one of the clerks there as they neared the time when all, free, single-use plastic shopping bags were being phased out because a stupid law would make them illegal for stores to give out. Really, really sad. The clerk was nice enough that she gave me a big bagful of new, unopened plastic bags. This was in mid 2015. A few months into 2016 when my sister and I were doing the big purge of all the clutter in my apartment, somewhere that collection of bags were thrown out.

2. What disgusting memory of garbage do you have?

The terrible smell of rotting garbage comes to mind. More specifically some of the times that I had to clean the fridge out and there was rotting food in the back that I had forgotten about. It is especially disgusting when you have to remove the food from the container it was in. Sometimes it is so bad you just get rid of that dead food along with the container!

3. How are you about deleting emails?

Back in the old days of Eudora when emails used to download into your computer, I used to regularly delete them. Today with several free server based cloud accounts, I don't do this very often. I have email accounts on Google, Yahoo and Outlook which are the major ones. There are thousands of emails on my main Gmail account, many unopened. Up to last year there were tens of thousands on Yahoo, but after I was aware of the gigantic data breach they had, I got rid of most of them. Today the Yahoo account is still active and slowly building up with email inventory again. The Outlook account probably has a couple of thousand of emails, not too much. I also have email accounts at SDF.org, Headgap and AOL, but those don't get much use and when I got there I tend to clean them up fairly well.

4. What do you treasure that someone else considers trash?

All of the stuff I keep are "treasures".... I don't think people would consider my CD, vinyl records, DVD and cassette tape collections trash. I hope not!

5. What’s the litter like in your neighborhood?

Not too bad as some other areas in my city. Yes, we have some trash on the street. It can get bad when people put their bulky pick up items on the curb, and the city doesn't pick it up on the day they are supposed to. Sometimes they are a week late.

No comments:

Post a Comment