Saturday, June 1, 2019

Friday 5 for May 31: Genre

1. What gets an unfairly bad rap?

I am going out on a limb for this one... The current President of the United States, Donald Trump gets a very bad rap from all the people and media who hate him and the kinds of policies that he is committed to "Make America Great Again".

Here is a short list of what our president has accomplished for America: https://www.whitehouse.gov/trump-administration-accomplishments/

This past week President Trump shook the hands of 1,000 U.S. Air Force Academy cadets at their commencement ceremony. This is a good thing. The graduates were totally thrilled by this. The President did not have to stay. The Secret Service and other people in charge of his schedule told him he could leave after shaking the hands of a few top graduates like what other presidents did before him. Trump would have nothing of that. He stood for a long time and honored each graduate. You have to admire him for that.



2. What’s something you’ve done to jazz up your routine?

I'm pretty content with my routine and generally do not do much to change anything unless I have to.

3. When did you last have your mettle tested?

I am trying to help my friend get out of a bad, ongoing situation.

4. What’s something you were once — but are no longer — hardcore into?


Recording compilation tape cassettes. I was very passionate about making custom mixes and even recording record albums in full length so as to preserve the record while playing the tape all of the time.

I used to make my own tape covers for them by hand and later with my Macs using at first Hypercard and later Aldus Pagemaker. Printed them out on a black and white laser printer and hand colored many of them. Later cassettes featured color inkjet art.

This changed after digital became a bigger part of our lives. Today I have tons of iTunes playlists and others taking the place of the mixed tapes I once made before.

This link takes you to photos of several of the cassette tape mixes I used to make: https://www.flickr.com/photos/macprohawaii/albums/72157612073240623

5. What are some porch swings, tire swings, or rope swings you’ve known?

Can't think of any in my life. Just never did any of that. I did ride regular playground swings when I was a kid.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. I had entirely forgotten about making CDs and designing covers for the CD cases. In fact, a CD which I've been listening to in the car for years developed serious skipping problems within the past couple of months.

    Between my friend and I, we developed a template for MS Paint. She's a good artist and more often than not we'd leave large "white areas" for her artwork. And then carefully cutting and folding...

    I went to your photography page. Really beautiful. Really nice. You can tell hours of work went into them.

    It also reminds me of the art supply store closing a few years ago. Spending our allowances on 0.2mm Sakura Pigma Micron pens and paint markers. Spending hours on our projects with the cat lying on the table helping us while burning CDs.

    This would prove to be really cool when we were issued our drivers' licenses and our friends "discovered" J-Girl rock.

    Somewhere down the line we discovered there was an actual Kitty Records and CDs were eclipsed by MP3.

    ReplyDelete