Friday, August 30, 2024

Friday 5 for August 30: GOAT

 














Friday 5 for August 30: GOAT

Questions from Scrivener's weekly Friday 5 blog.

1. If you are forced to choose only one, what is the greatest single episode of a television series, ever?

"Severed Dreams", season 3 episode 10 of Babylon 5.

https://tubitv.com/tv-shows/714543/s03-e10-severed-dreams

Babylon 5 remains my favorite science fiction TV show of all time and here is a small reason why:


2. If you are forced to choose only one, what is the greatest opening line of a song, ever?

I first heard this song at the age of 10 in 1967. We got this old Brenda Lee album that was released in 1960 after my Uncle Robert died at a young age of 29. The album was seven years old by then, but when I played track 1 on side 2 of the record, my 10 year old self thought... oh my this song sounds naughty but I did not know why.

After a few nondescript seconds of hard to decipher whispers, the first three words spoken by Brenda Lee caught me and has remained with me ever since:

"Aha Honey, Alright...." I did not know what it exactly meant at the time, but I always associated the song with something naughty or sexy. After all it is about "Sweet' Nothins'" and Brenda Lee herself was only 14 when she recorded the record in 1959. Wow! Take a listen. It is one of my favorite early pop music tracks ever.

3. If you are forced to choose only one, what is the greatest movie kiss of all time?

That wet kiss in the original Spiderman movie from 2004 is quite memorable. Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire, from the first movie series released from Sony and not from Disney's crazy franchise.

Otherwise most kissing scenes are not very memorable to me, though I have probably seen too many. I tend to gravitate toward sci-fi and action movies where kissing is not central to the story.


4. If you are forced to choose only one, what is the greatest building of all time?

I think for a building to be great, you must have gone to see it for yourself. That said I hardly ever traveled out of state in my life since it is so expensive. The last time I left was in the last century when I took that long trip on a Boeing 747... Gotta love those big 4 engine jets. 

That said, while I never went inside them, I did see the twin towers of the original World Trade Center back in 1974 when they were still being built. The one building I went inside to visit was the Empire State Building in NYC. I guess for me it is the greatest building that I have ever visited, but definitely not the greatest building of all time... I don't know... maybe that gigantic vehicle assembly building where they put together Apollo Saturn 5, the Space Shuttle and now Space X Falcon 9s and Super Heavys at Cape Canaveral Florida. 

5. If you are forced to choose only one, what is the greatest candy — not a candy bar — of all time?

M & Ms Plain or Peanut.

I also liked Horlicks Milk Chocolate tablets that came in a small jar with a red cover cap. They are no longer made.


No comments:

Post a Comment