Friday, June 23, 2023

Friday 5 for June 23: Be curious, not judgmental

From Scrivener: "Hello, and welcome to this week’s Friday 5!" 

"Questions inspired by a favorite show you don’t have to have seen. 🙂"

Yep, probably some TV show I never saw.

1. How do you feel about (or what do you think of) soccer, the sport known everywhere but in the U.S. as football?

Soccer makes big money for the TV networks all across the world, especially during the FIFA World Cup which they all vie for every four years. The fervor for Soccer in some countries is so great that it is also a security risk at some locations with fans creating riots and other mayhem. 

I am happy that American football is a huge success in the USA and continues to be so. What I like best about American football is that it never uses the metric system and keeps our English based inches, feet and yards popularly intact. Damn the rest of the world and their metric system. I can't visualize it. Thanks to football, I can visualize a foot, yard or even a mile (more credit for that goes to speedometers). I can't visualize metrics.

I am not a sports fan, but will watch a game once in a while when there is some interest. Sports TV is very expensive. Cable TV companies so far have sports fans locked into their live sports feeds. Over time this will change as streaming services land more and more contracts from professional and collegiate sport programs. Many are going to streaming where there are better options in terms of consumer choice and cost over cable TV bundles.

Here's a fun music video that promoted the 2010 FIFA World Cup in Africa. The song is called "Waka Waka (This Time For Africa)" by Colombian born singer Shakira.

2. What have you been forgiven for?

Can't remember anything recent or specific on this.

3. Who is the most joyful person you know?

Lisa when she is happy.

4. When were you most recently a fish out of water?

I try not to put myself in unfamiliar situations, which means I mostly play it safe. That said, I can't recall the last time I felt out of place... maybe very long ago when I first worked at the Hawaii State Legislature... way back in 1998... I guess everyone is a newbie at some job or another.

5. Under which circumstances are you the best version of yourself?

My best guess is when I am talking to people about old music, records and the top 40 charts of the 1960s to the 1980s. I was a big fan of the old Casey Kasem "American Top 40" radio show from back then.


No comments:

Post a Comment