Moms everywhere always told us to "eat your vegetables." When I was a kid I did not care much for veggies. Over time they have become a major part of my diet. Vegetables are good for us, especially green leafy ones. This week's Friday 5 is all about vegging... let's go.
1. Onions - with just about everything, fried, raw, microwaved, whatever.
1. What’s your favorite root vegetable, and what’s your favorite way to eat it?
Root veggie? Hmm... I'm not sure if these are root bound, but my top 5 would be...
tater tots, etc.
2. Potatoes - mashed, baked... and while not healthy, french fried,
3. Carrots - raw or with beef stew, steamed. I just hate peeling them.
Whoops... I can only think of those three. Are onions root bound? Never saw an onion plant. They just show up in the store.
2. What’s your favorite leafy green, and what’s your favorite way to eat it?
My Top 5:
1. Broccoli - Love it. Steamed by themselves or stir fried with chicken, beef.
2. Manoa Lettuce - expensive but good with sandwich, salad
3. Lettuce (in general) - same as above, good with hamburgers, fish-burgers
4. Cabbage - often used as filler, with diced spam or corned beef and fried.
5. Kale - Good with salads, sandwich, Amy's Kale Bowl
3. What’s your favorite legume, and what’s your favorite way to eat it?
I had to look up "legume"... heh. Another top 5.
1. Peanuts - Boiled peanuts, local style... yum.
2. Soybeans - As edamame - yum.
3. Peas - with carrots, in salads, by themselves, explode in my mouth.
4. Beans - with chili and rice.; other varieties with whatever.
5. Lentil - Lentil soup, Amy's brand.
4. What’s your favorite vegetable to put on a pizza?
Foodland Farms makes a great vegetarian pizza... I think they now have two varieties. Very good. I love black olives but Lisa does not. Oh well, everything else is good. Bell peppers on pizza would be my second favorite... followed by mushrooms. Are mushrooms a vegetable? Or is it just fungi????
Also love plenty of onions on my pizza.
5. What’s your favorite fruit to eat in a green salad?
OK. I have to go with TOMATOES. I consider them a vegetable but others say it is a FRUIT... so for all its fruity goodness, I go with tomatoes. Love em.
Somewhere along the line I forgot broccoli. Love them too... Steamed broccoli by itself is good or prepared mixed with other veggies, stir fried chicken. Yum. Is broccoli a leafy green? I guess it would be...
Onward now to veg out on YouTube videos.. heh. Can't eat em but they're entertaining.