Thursday, September 10, 2009

Reply to the Other Friday 5

Starting with this post, I'll make an occasional reply to this Friday Five.

Hawaiian Airlines 767-300 ER

Summer Travel

1. Will or did you go on vacation this summer?

I was planning a trip back home to the Big Island of Hawaii in July but I got sick on the day I was supposed to go. With great financial penalty from the airline, I had to cancel my trip. Good thing because I got even more sick after the cancellation. This was in July. I have since fully recovered.

2. Where will/did you go?

Planning to take cancelled trip in October. I always go back to the Big Island of Hawaii at least once or twice a year.

3. What do you like about the place?

My childhood home, my parents and most of my relatives also live there.

4. What don't you like about the place?

Employment opportunities are less than they are in urban Honolulu, and access to major medical care is limited and very expensive because people have to spend big money to come to Honolulu for better care.

5. Where do you want to go next summer?

The Big Island again. I haven't gone out of the State of Hawaii since 1993. Too expensive to travel and I don't like the thought of being on a two engine jet traveling for more than 5 hours over 2,200+ miles of water. In the olden days jet aircraft had 3 or 4 engines. Built in safety redundancy. Sure, today's twinjets are certified through ETOPS regulations... but still... 3 is better than 2 and 4 is better than 3. Give me the days of the Boeing 747 again.

That all said, I live in Hawaii so if I take a day off or get the weekend off, just going to Waikiki or the beach could be a vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment